Friday, March 28, 2008

About the Waterbed Guy

My humble entry into the wonderful world of waterbeds began in 1981, at age nineteen. The flotation sleep industry was growing out of it's infancy, and was about to ride it's own wave into a decade long boom. I first began as a part time salesman hawking mostly at area malls and home expos, eventually working for a few waterbed retailers in the metro New york area. I was initially a salesman, but quickly became the top service and installation provider in the region, contracting for most of the local big and small players at one time or another. Having felt that i found my niche, I coasted for a few years, finding little or no competetion locally. As time went on, I created my own regional waterbed service, company, doing set ups, removals, moves and the like. This allowed me to also chase my dream as a musician and to create my own work hours which provided for that lifestyle. I still play every weekend with the same band. After having ridden that wave myself for over two decades, and seeing dozens of waterbed dealers come and go, came a sobering reality; The boom was long over. It became apparent that I was the only remaining die hard that still wanted to sell and service waterbeds for the greatest city in the world. Having done a bit of market research, I soon learned that there actually was still a market for these things. A pretty good one at that. People still wanted to buy waterbeds, however, for most people across the country, the only place left to buy them was the internet. Nearly all my customers tell me so! So my plan here is to provide you with a free "virtual waterbed service" to people who may find themselves in need of it. From today onward, i will build upon the knowledge and tips i have accrued in the last quarter century and share it here. Please share your experiences, good or bad with us as well. I will be doing the same. There is a surprisingly large number of topics to explore, from product selection, to horror stories, and this will be the place to find them. I have also come across many myths and bullsh*t stories that will be debunked here. So let's get to it!

No comments: